may 中文 EN[meɪ] US
- 名词 (Noun)PLmays
- The hawthorn bush or its blossoms.
- 动词 (Verb)SGmaysPR-PRmayingPT, PPmayedPTmightPP-
- OBS VI To be strong; to have power (over).
- OBS VA To be able; can.
- VI (poetic) To be able to go.
- (modal auxiliary verb, defective) To have permission to, be allowed. Used in granting permission and in questions to make polite requests.
- you may smoke outside;  may I sit there?
- (modal auxiliary verb, defective) Expressing a present possibility; possibly.
- he may be lying;  Schrödinger's cat may or may not be in the box
- (subjunctive present, defective) Expressing a wish (with present subjunctive effect).
- may you win; may the weather be sunny
- Used in modesty, courtesy, or concession, or to soften a question or remark.
- To gather may.
- In highly karstified aquifers, however, the contaminant transport may depend primarily on the karst conduit network rather than matrix hydraulic conductivity.
- Washing light laundry with dark may cause your clothes to discolor.
- Navigating by trial and error may get you there eventually, but using a map is faster.
- May the divine Savitri, the well-handed, well-fingered, and well-armed, clear thee by his might!'
- Might this then be a bellwether tale about the rumored dire effects of overabsorption in new media?
- May the souls of the recently departed rest in peace.
- There's a storm coming, so I grit my teeth and start rowing with all my might.
- Now (sayd the Lady) draweth toward night, And well I wote, that of your later fight Ye all forwearied be: for what so strong, 285 But wanting rest will also want of might?
- This year, I'll be going to Stratford on holiday. I heard it's lovely in May.
Meaning of may for the defined word.
- 词类阶层 (Part-of-Speech Hierarchy)
困难度: 级别 1
容易 ➨ 困难
明确性: 级别 9
明确的 ➨ 多用途
- en maybe
- en mayor
- en mayn't
- fr maya
- en mayonnaise